Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Just back from Paris

Just a few notes about my trip to paris. Wow what a beautiful place. My biggest pleasant supprise was that after previous nightmare trips, the parisian mentallity has completely changed. I really tried to learn some french but I%26#39;m a disaster. It was amazing, everyone spoke english and really really well. The cab driver engaged me in conversaiton (in english)





Went to the Musead%26#39;orsay cant tell you how beautiful it was. What really struck me was the %26quot;merchandising%26quot; of the art. Each piece was places in a special place, and the physical beackground of the museaum was beautiful.





Two suggestions that may help. Before you leave home, get a bus map. The metro is fine but it doesn%26#39;t run eveywhere. I had a nightmare of a time going to tourist attractions along the river since there seems to be no mass transit in that area. of course this forced my to walk everywhere which probalby was great but it cut down on my time for attractions. I%26#39;m sure there was a way to do this but I couldn%26#39;t find out.





Second and most important plan meals ahead. I had the worst meal of my trip in paris. I was late for my train and ran to the train station. I figured the food would be really bad inside so I tried to get food outside...what a mistake. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the tourist menu but I needed to take a train. I ordered toasted ham and cheese I mean how could they mess that Up. The food all tasted like somehting had spilled in the oven and was burning.. what a discrace. The pomme frites were worse than our generic frozen french fries not skinny or fat just wrong. This whole fiasco cost me 34 euros!!! Do some research before you leave and try not to wait until you get hungry to find someplace to eat.





Please feel free to ask questions if you want.




|||



Glad you had a good trip, and that was a good tip about not getting too hungry and having to settle for yucky exspensive food!



thanks!




|||



It%26#39;s true that it%26#39;s not that easy to get from place to place taking the metro if it%26#39;s attractions by the river that you need to get to. The bus is muche asier but I never mention it as a lot of people are already taking a big step by taking the metro. :-)





The Batabus is a river shuttle that stops at most of the major sites on the Seine and it%26#39;s €11 for a day ticket.





Glad you had (mostly) fun though :)




|||



Hi !





I%26#39;m glad you like Paris...





For the food : never buy food IN the train : sandwichs and stuff like that are really bad and expensive.





If you have a money to spend and time go to %26quot;LE TRAIN BLEU%26quot; gare de Lyon before, you can have a nice meal for maybe 50 euros in a VERY nice place !




|||



A very nice Metro ticket guy gave me a bus map early on in our trip- they are available for free- it was in tatters by the time we left. We were staying on the Avenue Rapp and there is not a close metro station, but the #69 and the #87 bus stopped right at the end of the block and we used them every day.



This map was invaluable. The bus info wasn%26#39;t on any tourist map I had. I bought a PARIS PAR ARRONDISSEMENTS at Borders before we left- the RATP bus map and schedule is in there too, but the bus stops are not shown on the maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment