Monday, April 23, 2012

Bouquinistes stalls - opening/closing days/times?

I%26#39;ve stopped by the bouquinistes along the Seine a few times in the past.... next trip, I want to devote some shopping/browsing time at the stalls.





Does anyone have details as to what days the stalls would remain closed, what time do they usually open up, etc...?





I know your answers won%26#39;t apply 100%, but it would help me know where to put my foray on the %26#39;%26#39;trip plan%26#39; . . .





thanks !




|||



travelnutty,





It seems strange for me to be responding to you



rather than the other way around.





To me, and you probably already know this,



the bouquinistes are one of the real treasures



of Paris. Their green metal %26quot;stalls%26quot; line both



sides of the Seine and some proprietors have



had theirs for years. Very few are unidimensional,



most carry trinkets along with books, magazines,



records, old and new postcards, prints, etc.





I sense that their day starts when they wake up



and they close late in the afternoon to dark.





I%26#39;ve gone back numerous times during my



visits to Paris trying to search out some



small treasure that I might have missed




|||



Hi



I think it really depends on each of them. Some won%26#39;t open on such day or the opther, i think they only are due by the mayor to open three days a week to get the authorization to work. Your best bet is to go on a week-end, most of them would open .




|||



OK, I%26#39;ll try on the weekend... and again on a weekday ! Thanks...




|||



Your best bet for finding most of the %26#39;bookiniste%26#39; vendors along the Seine quais open for business will be on almost any SATURDAY--anytime from early morning until mid-afternoon (there really aren%26#39;t any %26#39;hours%26#39; and it seems that many begin closing up and packing it in at 3 PM or so). For many permit holders, this is a part-time business or an %26#39;extention%26#39; of a regular shop in another location. Most %26#39;stalls%26#39; will be closed during most of the week.





If you%26#39;re looking for more selection or specific books, magazines, etc, there are a number of wonderful small used book shops in the northern %26#39;..wedge..%26#39; of the 6eme, between Blvd. Saint Michel and rue des Saint Peres, between the Seine and Blvd Saint Germain. Actually, the whole general area of the northern 5eme and 6eme, from where Blvd. Saint Germain begins (Pont de Sully) and ends (Pont de la Concorde) at the Seine is a used book shoppers paradise...with dozens of small shops tucked in among the maze of streets in the area.




|||



Of course you could spend as liitle time in



Shakespeare %26amp; Company too.




|||



I%26#39;m not looking for books.... more into browsing for %26quot;things%26quot;... souvenirs, small gifts... do like postcards to enhance the ole scrapbook once I get home again...




|||



travelnutty,





For me, the best souvenir, small gift and postcard place



is the Museum Store at the D%26#39;Orsay.





Another place I have gone back to each time I have



been in Paris is Village Suisse at 78 avenue de Suffren



M (la Motte-Picquet) - 150 small antique places.





Take good care

No comments:

Post a Comment