Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Where are you, Neanderthal Man???

Hello Friends!!





Well, I pondered for a spell, and came up with a few questions to ask around here, because, well, I like it around here, and I like hearing feedback from nice folks! I know, I know, Travelnutty, I can do a search! (teehee!) But, I bet this one has not been discussed before!





I watched a very excellent television program in the states on the Neanderthal man, and paleontology fascinates me. There is a famous (well, in paleontology terms) place in France where they found what is considered to be one of the last strong-holds of the Neanderthal man. It is in a large cave, in a very rocky and deep gorge. And geographically speaking, that is all I know!





I was curious if anyone here had any idea whatsoever where this site might be????? And if there is a museum or local historian, something of that nature? I am looking for a really different and intriguing side-trip for my winter Paris stay. I realize folks will want to tell me, “Why would you want to go there? There is nothing to see or do there!”…but those are not people like myself! I would actually travel by train 2-3 hours in each direction, just to look at a river gorge where Neanderthal spent his last days. Doesn’t matter to me if there is nothing else to look at. Of course, if the area is totally inaccessible then I would gracefully toss in the towel.





Okay, can anyone here rise to this occasion?????? ;-)





lasscass




|||



High Lasscass,





The famous cave is in the Dordogne and is called



Lascaeux (sp ?). The original was discovered by



boys who went looking for their dog who had fallen



in. So many people went through the cave that



what they brought in on their shoes plus the



carbon dioxcide began to deteriorate the images



on the cave walls. It was closed but there was



such an uproar (it is a national treasure) that



Lascaeux II was built (to stringent standards



replicating the original). It took the woman



who painted the walls 7 years to reproduce



the images using what was believed to be



the same methods as the original.





Groups of 30 are led through Lascaeux II



at a time. Excellent interpretive program



and museum.





In 2003 I took a train to Bordeaux, rented a car



and drove east to Lasceaux.





Did I rise to the ocassion ?




|||



Hello Randy!





You certainly did, and some! ;-)





You%26#39;ve filled in the gaps, and it seems like it might be a good little trip to take. How far a train ride is it to Bordeaux, and how far did you have to drive to get to Lescoux, (excuse the spelling!) ?? And anyway, I know there are lots of other things to see and do in that area, so I am going to set aside a day or two for this one!





Thank you again!!





lasscass




|||



Hi lasscass,





Set aside 2 days at least; it is some of the most



beautiful countryside you will find in France plus



quaint and charming villages and towns.





Don%26#39;t miss these: Les Eyzies, Rocamadour,



Domme, Cahors and Sarlot.





Lascaux II





I travelled there in 2002 so the details



are little fuzzy but I think it was several hours



by train to Bordeaux from Paris and then about



175 miles east to the Dordogne Valley by car.





Let me know when you do it !




|||



Lascaux is the famous one, but is it in a %26#39;deep gorge%26#39;? There is another one, fairly recently discovered, in the Ardèche. I%26#39;ve found a website culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/chauvet/en/


but I%26#39;ve never been there. It%26#39;s a long way to travel - nearest TGV would be Avignon, I guess - but the geology around there is amazing, with several caves (stalactites and stalacmites rather than prehistoric dwellings) as well as the Ardèche gorge itself.


So that%26#39;s two trips, Lasscass! Or you could do a grand tour!




|||



The cave at Lascaux was painted by Cro Magnon man-- not Neanderthals. However, the area where Lascaux is- the Dordogne-- is full of prehistoric sites, from all stages of human settlement in Europe. The %26quot;center%26quot; is probably Les Eyzies de Tayac, which has a Museum of Prehistory. If you are interested in prehistoric man, this area is great... but it may be shut tight in winter, and I know that the Museum of Prehistory was scheduled to move into new premises. So don%26#39;t head down there (gorgeous area, but little villages, not much going on in winter I suspect) before making sure that the museum and the Lascaux replica are open! There are also actual prehistoric sites that you can still tour, such as Font du Gaum, right near Les Eyzies. Some need to be reserved months in advance, if they are open at all in winter. Surf the web and you will find lots of stuff.



Also, I have no idea if you can get to, or around, this area without a car. As I said, very small towns, pretty far apart, and sites off the beaten track.




|||



It%26#39;s also worth noting that while the original caves are located at Lascaux, they are no longer open to the public (except by special permit--to better control climatic conditions and preserve the originals) and the caves that you are allowed to tour through are %26#39;..reproductions..%26#39; of the original--hence %26#39;..Lascaux II..%26#39; .





Lascaux Caves-- culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/




|||



This is all really interesting, but in my experience, Neanderthal men are alive and well here, in MIAMI!!!!!! LOL




|||



Elliemae, the Neanderthal gene is running rampant in the Southern California region, and I am not sure where it will die out, if it will! Teeheeeeeee!!





Thank you everyone for all this exciting information! I am going to whip out my map and have a serious look now!! I have written all of it down, and will investigate it all, if possible. Thank you all again!!





Cass/lasscass/dippitydoo








|||



Hi, I thought you might want the website for Les Eyzies de Tayac, which has lots of info about the area and links for the museum, prehistoric sites, local hotels etc. There is a good interactive map on the site with links for lots of stuff. Its is www.leseyzies.com. There is also an email address for their tourism office, if you have questions.




|||



Check out the prehistoric cave of Rouffignac. YOu can see the actual cave drawings not replicas. There is a limit to how many people can get in at a time though. In a great area, Le Perigord Noir-wonderful food! We also found L%26#39;Abri Pautaud in Les Eyzies to be very interesting. But as someone else mentioned, you do need a car. NOt sure of the hours in the winter but you can check their websites. Have fun! Oh, and if you%26#39;re in the area check out the medieval village of Sarlat.

No comments:

Post a Comment