Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bank Machine Fraud

Just returned from Paris two weeks ago and when I went to the bank to pay all my end of the month bills, found to my surprise that my account was empty. The fraud investigator tells me that the bank machine I used in Paris was somehow used to duplicate my ATM card so I am posting this to just be aware it is possible for this to be done. The bank suggested to me that a person change their pin number whenever you have been away on holiday as it usually takes a week to a month to duplicate a card and start using it. By changing your pin number they cannot access your account . Luckily the bank will be covering the debits in the amount of $4500.




|||



OMG, what a shock you must have had! Thanks for the advise about changing pin number upon return.



Judy




|||



The was a post a few days ago that also touched on this and suggested that you change your PIN just before leaving on the trip and then changing it back immediately upon return.





This way the PIN you have used for so long at home and have memorized will still be your PIN at home.





Still, it%26#39;s good to see that your bank covered the loss.




|||



I tried to use the ATM%26#39;s at the post office while I was in Paris. Was there a particular place you used yours that might have been suspicious?




|||



I%26#39;d like to know myself. While I believe your story it does seem very strange that someone would be able to alter an ATM machine to do what you described.





Was the cash withdrawn from your account (i.e. they had your PIN number) or was it used to buy items ?




|||



There%26#39;re some pictures how this works:



www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/atmcamera.asp




|||



It not difficult and not at all rare. I have seen more than one news story on entire false fronts being put over ATMs that record both the mag strip info and the PIN key stokes. Since all of the gangs reported about in the new stories were from Balkan countries it is far easier to immagine them running the same scam in Paris than it is for the gang to be in NY where they were when caught in the US.




|||



Cloning cards via ATMs has been an issue here in the UK. In fact, my wife had hers copied, her account got emptied (and more) but luckily the bank, after investigating it, agreed to refund the money.





This type of fraud is known as cloning/skimming, which can be when a device is fitted to an ATM that reads your card or when a dishonest clerk or waiter makes a copy of your card.





There%26#39;s plenty on the net about this type of fraud, but this article summarises it pretty well (and shows before and after pictures of a modified ATM). UK article but it applies anywhere:





uk.biz.yahoo.com/moneyweekly/skimming.html




|||



We tried to use every precaution I knew of, we used only bank machines at banks not free standing unknown source ones. My husband stood with me at the machine so I thought no one could see what I was doing but obviously this wasn%26#39;t the case. According to the fraud investigator it is a very sophiscated system that a person can%26#39;t really control. A reader is inserted in the machine that will be removed after they collect a few card numbers and sometimes the person watching for your pin number can even be across the street with a telephoto lens. I think there was what I thought to be a homeless women sitting on the steps of the bank who at her angle could probably see my hands punching in the pin number I covered my hand from above but the from the angle she was sitting I think she might have been the one.




|||



Sorry I also forgot to add they only used ATM machines to withdraw cash not for any purchases. They took out my daily limit for 10 consecutive days.




|||



if you read the snopes article you will see that they actually install a tiny camera as a false front to the ATM machine, which records via a video camera your inputting the PIN, and also makes a copy of your card as you insert it....really crafty and sinister! I sure hope they put the perpetrators away for a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNG time for doing this. I have to admit, I have not used my card at the bank ATM since I read the snopes article, and I am not easily intimidated.

No comments:

Post a Comment