Thursday, March 29, 2012

Paris Guide Book

Can anyone recommend a good guide book recently used in Paris?




|||



I have 3:





Frommer%26#39;s Paris 2005, Frommer%26#39;s-Paris $90 a Day and Rick Steves%26#39; Paris guide book.





They are excellent and I recommend them. All three books give a unique perspective of Paris. Read them and use your own judgement to see what you want to see and where you want to stay and eat.





Also, get Rick Steve%26#39;s French Pocket dictionary. It%26#39;s excellent with more phrases than your average French pocket dictionary.




|||



LOLLIE -





I use Michelin, Rick Steeves, Sophie Warne



and Eyewitness in planning my trips to



Paris.





Eyewitness is too heavy to carry there,



Michelin give me good details and



Sophie Warne is a good general quick



reference. If it is your first trip to



Paris you are likely to find Rick



Steeves helpful.





Most important is your MAP.



Streetwise and the Red Map are good



for me as is the lonely planet.





Best Wishes




|||



If you%26#39;re on a low budget, get Frommers Paris $90 a day and Rick Steve%26#39;s guide book. The Frommer%26#39;s 2005 Paris book lists a lot of info on the expensive hotels, bars, restaurants, etc... but it is an interesting read on what%26#39;s available, even if it may be out of your price range.





Rick Steve%26#39;s book gives some personal good insight on the city that many tour books miss and an interesting read with some good personal tips. But not really great on listing alot of the restaurants, clubs, bars, hotels but lots of great advice anyway.





The Frommers $90 a day Paris lists some really good hotels and places to eat for people who are on a lower budget. It%26#39;s not quite as interesting as Rick Steves book but does give a better list of the places to eat and say.




|||



I really appreciate your responses. It%26#39;s so great doing extensive travel research on the internet. The guide books are never the same (but really a must) and it%26#39;s frustrating arriving at your destination to find you%26#39;ve picked a cruddy guidebook. Thanks for the tips!





p.s. Anyone traveling to a large city should have a Streetwise map! They%26#39;re the best!




|||



Lollie



not sure if you can get them in the States but the Rough Guide series of guidebooks are great . No photos but lots of info - very well written and if you like the English sense of humour you will love them




|||



I would also recommend Rough Guides and their Paris edition is very well written. (Their current edition is 2 years old and some pricing info I found inaccurate but they are publishing their 10th edition in October.)





I used an Eyewitness Guide produced map of Paris that was excellent and is printed on a %26#39;plastic%26#39; paper that renders it indestructible!




|||



Ok, you%26#39;ve given me an excuse to flog my favourite again.





I picked up Michael Middleditch%26#39;s %26#39;The Paris Mapguide%26#39; before I went and found it fantastic. It is in a slim book form so you don%26#39;t have to unfold a map while walking down the street. It also has a little bit of guidebook info in the first few pages - just enough so that you leave the main guidebook in the apartment and rely on the notes in front should you forget opening times or location of a major attraction. I was giving more commentary to my friends on our Seine cruise than the official commentator was as my book labelled every building so clearly.





But I will look out for Streetwise in the bookstores so I can compare!!




|||



Another vote for the Michelin Green Guide - excellent for the %26#39;must-sees%26#39; - and streetmaps free from the hotel, with metro and bus info on the back. I fold it to show the area I%26#39;m in and once it gets tattered, I ask for another!




|||



As many as you can afford - they all offer different things.



My latest by was the Rough Guide map which is a great scale and printed on polyart paper so it doesn%26#39;t tear, crease and you can get it wet.




|||



Virgin has a Paris guide book with nice maps, essential descriptions of all the arrondisements with a selections of shops, restaurants and nightlife places.



Very compact and maps are waterproof and won%26#39;t crease.

No comments:

Post a Comment