Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Purchasing a single ticket only

Since I will be in Paris for only one day, my use of the metro and RER is going to be very limited, possibly two trips on RER and two trips using the metro. When I arrive at Gare du Nord and go to the RER ticket booth, do I tell them my point of destination station? What if my point of destination involves switching to another train? I%26#39;m a little nervous about being able to communicate. I studied the french language in high school, but that was long, long ago.




|||



If you are beginning your travel from Gare du Nord, you simply go to the ticket window and ask for as many tickets as you think you%26#39;ll need. A single ticket is 1.40 Euro but bought in quantities of ten (a %26quot;carnet%26quot;) they only cost 1.05 each.





The tickets are not destination-specific on the Metro/bus/tram so you don%26#39;t need to specify anything as long as your travel is within the city of Paris.




|||



Oops, hit send too soon...





Once you enter the Metro system through any station, you can transfer between Metro lines all you want as long as you don%26#39;t exit a station. If you do, you%26#39;ll need to use another ticket to get back into the system.





You don%26#39;t need to speak French to use the Metro. Don%26#39;t worry. Just go to the ticket window and begin with %26quot;bonjour%26quot;. You%26#39;ll be fine.




|||



I have a similar question. If I want to travel on the Metro to Versailles Rive Gauch, when I transfer to the RER, do I need to buy a new ticket. I plan to travel on Metro to Javel station, and change to RER. What do purchase when I first enter the Metro?




|||



Versailles is outside zone 1-2 so you%26#39;ll need to buy two tickets (roundtrip) for zone 5 for each traveller.




|||



The %26quot;Metro%26quot; doesn%26#39;t actually go to Versailles. The Metro serves Paris only. The RER is the regional train system that serves Versailles. You%26#39;ll need to buy seperate tickets for the round trip to Versailles at the ticket window at any RER station.




|||



So a single ticket is good for the metro, bus, and RER as long as it is within zones 1-2? I will probably then purchase a carnet then since my friend and I will probably use up to 4 tickets each.




|||



One more question. If I purchase a Carte Orange Zones 1-2, can I ride on Metro and RER, as long as I stay in Zones 1-2? That%26#39;s what it seems like from the other threads and the RATP site.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;If I purchase a Carte Orange Zones 1-2, can I ride on Metro and RER, as long as I stay in Zones 1-2? That%26#39;s what it seems like from the other threads and the RATP site.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





If you purcahse a CARTE ORANGE Zone 1-2 transportation pass, you may use it to ride ALL RER, Metro, public buses and Montmartre Funicular within the city of Paris (and in a few places a bit beyond---to the end of ANY regular Metro ligne).




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Since I will be in Paris for only one day, my use of the metro and RER is going to be very limited, possibly two trips on RER and two trips using the metro.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





Rather than individual Metro/Bus tickets or a reduced-price CARNET of 10 individual tickets, your best bet may be to purchase a one-day (valid from First Train only until Last Train of that day--not 24 consecutive hours) MOBILIS Zone 1-2 transportation pass-- ratp.info/informer/titres_de_transport.php



The MOBILIS pass pays for itself in four(4) or five(5) Metro/Bus fares and provides you with hop-on/hop-off convenience. Bear in mind that while there are free transfer between Metro lignes within the same station, there are NO free transfers between Metro and bus or between different bus lignes.

No comments:

Post a Comment